Aromatherapy massage can be incorporated into any of the different types of massage, although it is not generally added to pregnancy massage since many oils are not recommended during pregnancy. The client selects an essential oil from a variety of scented oils that produce different effects in the body. The oil will be used during the massage in two ways. First it will be added to a diffuser which will allow the scent to be dispersed into the air. Second it will be added to the lotion that is applied to the skin during the massage. This way the client is able to enjoy the benefits of breathing the oil in as well as having it absorbed into the skin.
Below are a few examples of the different oils offered and their traditional uses.
- Basil – stimulating and energizing, good for improving memory and concentration, can also be good for headaches
- Bergamot – has a calming, soothing effect on the body and has traditionally been used in the treatment of oily, blemished skin
- Eucalyptus – this can have a warming effect on the body and has also been used commonly as a decongestant in treating colds and the flu
- Jasmine – this oil has a warm, exotic floral scent, it is uplifting and has been used to help relieve depression
- Lavender – has calming, sedative properties and is used to promote relaxation and combat insomnia
- Lemon – has a sharp citrus scent and is good for respiration and circulation, it helps with oily skin and acne, and encourages an invigorating and cleansing mood
- Orange – this has a sweet scent, is good for respiration and for moisturizing oily skin, and helps provide a calming mood by relieving nervous tension and stress
- Peppermint – has an intense, minty, uplifting scent and is often used to help ease muscular aches and pains and tension headaches, it contains menthol which induces a cooling sensation
- Pink Grapefruit – has a zesty, sweet citrus scent and is good for anxiety, depression, and headaches, it produces an invigorating mood and helps with nervous exhaustion and performance stress
- Rosemary – has a somewhat floral/herbal scent and helps provide pain relief and improve circulation, it is also good for dandruff and hair growth and helps produce an invigorating mood
- Sandalwood – has a woody scent and helps with insomnia as well as reducing the symptoms of respiratory infections, it encourages a relaxing, soothing mood
- Spearmint – can be used for many of the same purposes as peppermint oil but with a more subtle scent, it is often used to combat exhaustion, headaches, and nausea